Whitecap Dakota First Nation
Financial Controller – Full-Time, Permanent
We are a modern and progressive First Nation near Saskatoon and if you are an enthusiastic and dedicated professional, we want to hear from you. We offer competitive compensation, and great benefits! Apply to join our team today and see what the Whitecap Dakota First Nation (WDFN) is all about!
The Whitecap Dakota First Nation is looking for a detail-oriented Financial Controller to perform and coordinate accounting duties within the organization. The Financial Controller’s responsibilities include day to day management of the finance and accounting department including managing all financial data, reporting, month and year end close, annual budget, leading audit preparations, and performing other accounting duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you should have a solid working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and strong financial analysis skills. An outstanding Financial Controller will also possess strong Excel skills, be detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to work with little to no supervision and perform under pressure.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by the Financial Controller, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties. In accordance with standards of the Whitecap Dakota First Nation and reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Financial Controller will:
- Manage the daily operations of the finance and accounting department including cash management, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, payroll, and other accounting operations.
- Oversee direct reports including orientation, coaching and development, performance evaluation and if required, disciplinary action.
- Manage all aspects of the financial system data and financial reporting.
- Manage the financial data, financial reporting and distribution of reports and other critical information to the Executive Team.
- Manages the development of the annual operating and capital budgets and Multi-year Financial plan.
- Perform month-end and year-end closing procedures including review of A/P, A/R/ GL, reconciliations.
- Manages the annual audit process.
- Review and updating of appropriate business policies, procedures, and processes to record the financial transactions effectively and efficiently for the business entities.
- Prepare tax remittances and regulatory reporting as needed.
- Assess internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas.
- Support the implementation of new accounting solutions.
- Provide input into department’s annual goal setting process.
- Provide support for A/P, A/R, and G/L posting and month end reporting; and
- Assist in the completion of the Annual Report.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in accounting finance, business administration, economics, or a related field
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Three to Five years of related experience in a similar role
- Strong working knowledge of full cycle accounting and Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP)
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, organizational and management skills and abilities
- Proven ability to coach, train and effectively share knowledge with staff to achieve desired results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (advanced Excel) and SAGE 300 and SAGE Intacct
- Working knowledge of Canadian and Provincial tax laws
- Commitment to ensuring financial integrity and ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and understanding of legal contracts and agreements
- Full-Time, Permanent position
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience.
- Full Health Benefits, including Vision and Wellness.
- WDFN Pension eligibility
Download Job Description
- Financial Controller (pdf)
- Submit cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- APPLY BY: March 31, 2023
- We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.